Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Kooky Me and Me Meme

I've been tagged in a meme by Tara Tyler, and have agreed to answer four questions.

But FIRST! I posted a blog over at Untethered Realms about Symbolism and What We Hide In Our Trunks. And you'll learn something totally kooky about me. I hope you can stop by and check it out???



And now.....

1. What are you working on right now? I’m working on getting out the next book in my Indigo Eady Paranormal Mystery series, called A Guilty Ghost Surprised. Just sent it off to my wonderful CP and Partner in ParanormYA, Angela Brown. I’m also working on book II of my novella Afterlife series using the same characters.

2. How does it differ from other works in its genre? It’s light for YA, more like upper MG/lower YA. It sort of has a comical bent because of the mishaps the characters encounter. The difference is like a cozy mystery vs a hard core mystery. That’s why I sometimes refer to my books as paranormal “cozy” mysteries.

3. How does your writing process work? I am a hardcore plotster. Oh how I’d love to be a pantser, though. I’ve tried, I really have. But I just come to a complete stop after the first chapter. So I write a detailed outline of scene prompts for the whole book before I sit down to write. I know everything that’s going to happen. Of course I add things along the way, what with the ideas clambering to be included, you know? But mysteries in particular require planning, I think, in order to plant the clues. Does that make me a planster?

4. What is the hardest part about writing? For me, it’s the conflict. I always want a happily-ever-after all tied up with a big purple bow. And so my conflicts come in the mishap variety rather than the rock-em, sock-em, kick-em in the knee kind (See what I mean? Why didn't I just say kick-em in the head? That would have made a better action scene.)  It’s what I enjoy writing, but perhaps it’s not what most young adult readers are looking for. That’s why I sometimes refer to it as upper MG/lower YA.   

So, that's it about me!

Here are the people I tagged, who have agreed to accept this challenge:

1)  Misha Gericke
2)  Anonymous
3)  Anonymous
4)  Anonymous

Okay, Misha is the only one, LOL! Everyone I tried to tag is either already doing it or have already done it. But thank you, Misha!!!

20 comments:

  1. I don't think I'd even make it to the end of the first chapter if I didn't outline.
    And already visited Untethered Realms. Blank walls for five years?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a panster but sometimes I wish I was a bit more of a plotter but I can't do it. My best plotted 'book' never got written, lost interest. Can't wait for the sequel Gwen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so funny how some writers have to do it one way or the other. Thanks Sheena!

      Delete
  3. I have a question. Why is there so much dark YA? Surely some kids (teenagers) have varied tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question, Maria. Maybe it has to be dark before you can find the light? Or maybe because you have to have conflict for the story to be interesting, and dark is definitely interesting. And then there's the fact that teenagers always have to push boundaries, and going to the dark side is definitely pushing boundaries.

      Delete
  4. As a mom of a teenager, I love the sound of your books! I'm sure, if I were to tackle a piece of fiction of that length, I'd have to plan it out with more detail too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie. My characters are good kids, even though they get into a bit trouble. But their hearts are in the right place.

      That planning urge is the lawyer in you, Julie. I can see you as a plotter.

      Delete
  5. I tried the detailed outlining thing for the third book in my series. Bought Scrivener and everything. But by the time I reached the fourth chapter, I knew I was trying to take a long walk on a short pier.

    For me, I have to write it to really know what happens and why. I have certain plot points as benchmarks along the way, but sometimes even they don't work out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dianne, it is so amazing to me that people can just sit down and write and keep it all straight. Sometimes I go back and read and think, "Whoa, did I write that? I don't remember that at all." LOL!

      Delete
  6. I'm definitely an outliner/plotster too. Then again, I often write fantasy and with all the world building and tons of characters, it's easier to keep up with the plot, if I have it outlined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes I don't even remember my secondary characters, LOL. Good thing I outline.

      Delete
  7. yay for sequels! i love indigo eady! going over to see what you are exposing at unteth realms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tara. I hope you enjoy my little secret, lol!

      Delete
  8. I'm a mix. I make a timeline and plot points. I know how the story begins and ends. I know many things along the way, what will happen in each act. I know more about my characters than is healthy, and I always learn more along the way. I never ever know what will happen when my characters get together on the page. It's usually something I didn't expect or plan for.

    I liked your post at Untethered Realms. Pictures don't like not being hung :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love when the unexpected happens on the page, Carol!

      Yeah, that picture thing...*hangs head*

      Delete
  9. Sounds good! I love things with a comical bent. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie, so do I. Funny (pun intended) how I don't really see comedy in books much, though.

      Delete
  10. Nothing wrong with being a plotter! Works for Nora Roberts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I luuurve Nora Roberts! Good to know we have something in common :)

      Delete

Yay! You left a comment! I love comments.